The following agencies, tribal governments, and organizations are actively involved in groundwater management in the LUBGWMA.
Groundwater Management Area Committee
- LUBGWMA Committee – Includes representatives from many of the below organizations plus business and industry representatives; tasked with developing and implementing plans to reduce nitrate levels in the basin.
- Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation (CTUIR) – Land use planning, cultural and natural resource expertise, including water quality standards development and implementation and monitoring. Collaborative co-management and proposal development expertise.
- Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) – Primary regulatory agency for agricultural activities: Fertilizer product registration; water quality permits for Confined Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO); funds fertilizer product research; agricultural water quality plans and rule compliance for non-point source irrigated agriculture; technical support for LUBGWMA Committee.
- Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) – Primary regulatory agency for wastewater management: Water quality permits for industrial and municipal wastewater treatment facilities (including food processing wastewater); designating agency for Groundwater Management Area; groundwater quality monitoring and trends analysis; technical support for LUBGWMA Committee.
- Oregon Health Authority (OHA)– Primary regulatory agency for drinking water: Oversight of public drinking water systems; statewide source of public health information and information about drinking water testing and treatment for private well users; in the LUBGWMA, also providing domestic well testing and treatment.
- Oregon State University Extension Service (OSU Extension)– Agronomic rates and guidelines for nitrogen fertilizer use; science and research support for LUBGWMA Committee.
- Oregon Water Resources Department (OWRD)– Water right administration; surface and groundwater management; groundwater quantity monitoring and trends analysis; technical support for the LUBGWMA Committee.
- Morrow County – Land use planning, septic system permits, local public health.
- Umatilla County – Land use planning, septic system permits, local public health.
Soil and Water Conservation Districts
- Morrow Soil and Water Conservation District – Technical assistance and natural resource education to farmers, ranchers, and business owners; lead agency for implementing LUBGWMA Action Plan.
- Umatilla County Soil and Water Conservation District – Technical assistance and natural resource education to farmers, ranchers, and business owners (grant funding dependent).
- Oregon Rural Action – Safe drinking water, social and environmental justice advocacy, and community interest and support.
- Oregon Environmental Council – State-level advocacy for water, climate and environmental policy; rural partnership activities.
Other Involved Parties
- Irrigation districts, such as the Hermiston Irrigation District, West Extension Irrigation District, Stanfield Irrigation Districts, and Westland Irrigation Districts.
- Federal government partners providing funding and technical resources: