- Added Kyle Waggoner, UMCSWCD to livestock subcommittee co-chair.
- Revised spelling of groundwater for consistency throughout document.
- Updated Table of Contents
- Revised OWRD acronym for consistency throughout document
- Revised Goal of 1.1.2 to read, “to sustain this reduction so that public and private drinking waters remain safe to drink and the GWMA declaration can be repealed via ORS 468B.188”
- Revised Section 1.2.1 GWMA Declaration and Repeal
Completed Additional Revisions:
- Executive Summary
- Editorial Review for Style & Consistency
Second Action Plan updates reflect the following language changes to Page 39:
“The Lower Umatilla Basin (LUB) region has sandy soils, which have a relatively low field capacity. The difference in volumetric water content between field capacity & wilting point is less in sandy soils (as compared to a silty loam). Therefore, the optimal range for balancing irrigation and groundwater protection is smaller and requires robust data capture and decision-making. Crop water use early in the spring is less because of lower evapotranspiration (ET) demand during cooler temperatures and early crop growth stages. The management of irrigation water as a solute transport mechanism is a key component of agronomic practice that will achieve groundwater protection in the LUB.”
For a brief introduction to soil water management principles and practices, please see: https://youtu.be/YULwrICaB1Y
Updates (reflecting ODA comments) include:
- Minor language change to Goal 2 of the Irrigated Ag Section to include “comprehensive strategies” and “opportunities for improvement”.
- Minor language change to Irrigated Ag Section Strategy 2.1 “Actions introduction” to clarify the entities conducting the actions.
- Minor language change to Strategy 2.2 of the ROG section to clarify “impacts”.
- Change Schedules in CAFO section to reflect, “Ongoing; these actions are already required and being implemented.”
- Change to CAFO Strategy 3.1 to include “technical service providers” as responsible entities.
- Language change to Solid Manure Management section to include “Solid manure exported or properly stored and applied at agronomic rates. Proper storage includes covering manure piles in months when precipitation could transport nutrients, organic material and bacteria in the manure to surface or groundwater”.
- Update Strategy 2.3 of Livestock Operations to include, “Work with Irrigation Districts and irrigators to continue upgrading delivery systems and conversion of flood irrigation to more efficient systems. Assist landowners in obtaining financial support for conversion of flood irrigation to more efficient systems.”
Updated on 10/29/2018 to reflect the following revisions:
- Added links to www.lubgwma.org
- Added language referencing GWMA repeal statute in Section 1.2.1
- Added information on the Columbia Shrub Steppe ecoregion in Section 2.1.1
- Added ODA’s update/implementation of Willow Creek and Umatilla Agricultural Water Quality Management Area Plans to Irrigated Ag Section
- Added “Clarifying Repeal Criteria” goal to Irrigated Ag Section.
- Added “Interagency Task Force” goal to Irrigated Ag Section.
- Added several action items to Strategy 2.1 of the Irrigated Ag section including linking groundwater protection with Agronomic 4R’s & maximum economic yields.
- Added “Domestic well analytical testing and educational outreach” goal the ROG section.
- Added “Nitrogen Mass Balance Model” goal to PWS Section.
- Added “remediation feasibility study” goal to PWS Section.
- Deleted most of the PIP Section where all Goals/Strategies/Actions were listed in duplicate (this shortens the document by about 15 pages).
- Changes to the formatting for consistency.